1. Tell me about yourself. I am a 30 year old “Natural Hair Enthusiast” from OKC, OK. I work fulltime, but love to blog and vlog to help uplift, educate, and promote the beauty of natural hair.
2. Did you transition or big chop? I transitioned for 9 months. I received my last relaxer in June 2009 and did my big chop March of 2010.
3. How long have you been natural? I have been natural for a little over 3 years.
4. What is your biggest hair challenge? How did you overcome your challenge? Initially my biggest hair challenge was learning to love my own hair. I received my first relaxer at a very young age and for over 20 years that is all I knew. When I returned back to natural I didn’t know what my own natural hair texture was like and I didn’t know what to expect either. When I starting doing my research the only images I could find of natural hair were either loose, bouncy curls or tightly coiled, kinky textured hair. I figured my hair would be one or the other. However, when my I did my chop and my texture was starting to reveal itself, I soon realized my hair was a mix of many different textures. It was curly, wavy, and coiled. It was definitely not what I expected or hoped for. However, I had to embrace what I was blessed with and I learned how to care for it and in doing that I have fallen in love with my hair. I would not trade my head of hair for no one else’s.
5. What is your hair regimen? My current routine is pretty simple. I mainly co-wash my hair instead of using shampoo. I will co-wash at least once a week and shampoo my hair maybe once every 4-6 weeks. I found that co-washing allows me to keep my hair moisturized, by not stripping my hair like shampoo does and it still gets my hair and scalp clean. My conditioner of choice is Herbal Essence’s Hello Hydration Conditioner or Tresemme Naturals Radiant Volume Conditioner. When I shampoo my hair I use Shea Moisture Organic Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo. I will first put my hair into 4 workable sections and proceed to wash my hair one section at a time. After I am finished with each section apply my conditioner, detangle my hair and let the conditioner sit for about 10 mins. I will rinse it out one section at a time and then squeeze the excess water out. I will then use a cotton shirt to absorb any extra water. Next, I will apply my leave in which is Paul Mitchelle’s The Conditioner to each section and then I will apply my Moisture Butter or Curling Smoothie to my hair to add moisture. I will then apply an oil to seal it all in. My oils of choice are either Sweet Almond or Grapeseed Oil. I will then two strand twist my hair doing 3-4 twists in each section depending on the look I want. I will let the twists sit overnight. Lastly, I untwist my hair, separate with Coconut Oil on my hands, and fluff. My hair always looks moisturized and is defined when I do my twist out. That is my favorite go to hairstyle.
6. What is your favorite style? My fav hairstyle is Twist-out or an Updo!
7. What is your fashion style like? My fashion style is forever changing and I can adapt to whatever atmosphere I am in. I am currently really feeling the Urban Chic look!
8. Where can we find you on-line? What else would you like to add? To me being natural is a lifestyle change rather than a trend. It has opened my eyes and brought awareness to the products that I use on my hair and even the food that I eat, so it has made me more health conscious. Making the decision to return to natural was the best choice I could have made for the health of my hair. The overall health of my hair is better, it is thicker and longer now compared to when I had a relaxer. I love to share the knowledge I have gained by trial and error and by research with others, so you can check me out in the following places:
You can check me out on my blog: http://www.TiffanyNicholsDesign.blogspot.com
Watch me on my YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TiffanyNicholsDesign
Follow me on Instagram: @TiffanyNicholsDesign
Like me on Facebook: Tiffany Nichols Design